Kingdom Animalia includes organisms that:
- depend on skeletons or shells to strengthen and protect their bodies;
- have an embryonic stage in their life cycle; and
- cannot produce their own energy from the sun, and must feed on organic matter.
The following phyla (and sub phylum) are relevant to your beachcombing experience. They are by no means a full representation of the phyla (and sub phyla) in this kingdom.
In This Section
- Classification and Identification
- Bird Life on Our Coast
- C’mon and Embrace the Smell!
- Marine Conservation Areas
- What’s in the Wrack?
- Reference Books
- Poster: Echinoderms
- Poster: Sponges
- Poster: Molluscs
- Poster: Crustaceans
- Poster: Cnidarians
- Article: Spiny Symmetrical and Strange: The Weird World of Echinoderms
- Article: Cnidarians: Diverse and Spectacular